Monday, September 26, 2011

The Man In Black Fled Across the Desert and Other Opening Lines.

~The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed.
~Call me Ishmael.
~Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.
~You don't know about me without you have read a book by the name of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer; but that ain't no matter.
~Through the fence, between the curling flower spaces, I could see them hitting.
~All this happened, more or less.

once again i must begin a post with the words 'it's been a long time'

And it has. but november is coming soon and i feel like i need to do a little practicing. And this isn't even me forcing myself because i actually want to write. Just a few weeks ago, after a mighty puking epsiode on my couch the husband said to me "have some wine, i'll take the kid"

so i had some wine and i sat down with The Third Bed and cleaned it up. I remember once before i went through that story and pulled out as many words as i could, and it seems i didn't do a well enough job because that's what i did this time again. I don't know what it is exactly that i did to it, but it came almost under a different light. There's something better about it now. it inspired me to keep going (and to drink more wine... or maybe that's old christine's doing...)

When i was still looking forward to my maternity leave, rather than back at it, i knew that i probably wouldn't have a whole lot of time for writing, or crafting. In the beginning that was true, but as i got better practiced i found that once in a while i DID have time for myself. to do my things. I've wanted to write this post a million times and it's funny that i'm writing it now that i've gone back to work (and kept my second job) and have so much less time than i did before.

But in just moments i will probably open up a new document and get a start on my rewrite of the Prequel. Yes. I'm rewriting it. Why? Because just like the Third Bed i see it under a different light and i just can't get it from what i already have. I know i can salvage much of it, but i just feel that i need a clean slate. I have my first words. I had so much trouble during the editing process trying to figure out what i wanted it to start with that having that first line just seems to open up the whole story.

And it's laid out for me under this new light, which isn't so bright. Not to say the story has become a dark one, but it most certainly has become something else...

No comments:

Post a Comment